New Adventures in the New Year: Tips for Storing Outdoor Gear in Winter
As we embrace the fresh start of a new year, many of us are filled with excitement and anticipation for the adventures that lie ahead. Whether it's hitting the slopes, trekking through snowy trails, or simply enjoying the crisp winter air, outdoor enthusiasts across Canada are gearing up for the season's activities.
At Make Space Storage, we understand the importance of having a safe and reliable space to store your outdoor gear during the winter months and a safe place to keep that gear throughout the summer. With locations spread across the country from Vancouver Island to Eastern Ontario, including our newest addition in Fernie, BC, we're here to help you make the most of your winter adventures while keeping your equipment in top condition.
Introducing Our Fernie, BC Location
Nestled in the heart of the Canadian Rockies, Fernie, BC, is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. With its world-class skiing and snowboarding, breathtaking backcountry trails, and stunning natural beauty, it's no wonder that Fernie is a favourite destination for winter adventurers.
Our new location in Fernie spans an impressive 30,000 square feet of rental space, featuring 200 state-of-the-art self-storage units and an additional 120 spots for storing boats, RVs, and vehicles. This location offers convenient access to everything this vibrant community has to offer. Whether you're a local looking for a reliable storage solution or a visitor in need of a place to store your gear between adventures, our facility is equipped to meet your needs. The entire facility is fully fenced and equipped with modern security features, including video monitoring, so you can trust that your outdoor gear is in good hands.
Tips for Storing Outdoor Gear in Winter
As you gear up for your winter adventures, it's essential to properly store your outdoor equipment to ensure it stays in optimal condition. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your storage space:
1. Clean and Dry: Before stashing away your winter gear for the season, it's imperative to give each piece a meticulous cleaning and ensure it's thoroughly dried. Lingering moisture can become a breeding ground for mould, mildew, and unpleasant odours, potentially compromising the integrity of your equipment and diminishing its performance. Take the time to scrub away any dirt, grime, or salt residue accumulated from your outdoor adventures, paying special attention to crevices and hard-to-reach areas. Once cleaned, allow your gear to air dry completely before storing it away, whether it's your trusty ski boots, snowboard bindings, or cozy winter jackets. A little extra effort in this step will go a long way in preserving the quality and longevity of your cherished winter essentials.
2. Invest in Quality Storage Solutions: Opt for durable bins, racks, and shelves designed specifically for the storage of sports equipment, ensuring they can withstand the weight and dimensions of your gear without compromising their structural integrity. Consider stackable bins with secure lids to protect your gear from dust and moisture, while adjustable racks and shelves provide customizable storage options to accommodate items of various sizes and shapes.
If you really want to go the extra mile you can explore specialized storage solutions tailored to your specific gear, such as ski and snowboard racks with padded hooks to prevent scratches and dents, or boot and helmet organizers designed to maximize space efficiency. By investing in quality storage solutions, you not only safeguard your gear against damage but also streamline the storage process, making it easier to locate and retrieve items when needed. Ultimately, a well-organized storage space sets the foundation for a seamless winter adventure, allowing you to focus on the thrill of the outdoors without the hassle of rummaging through cluttered storage areas.
3. Properly Pack and Protect: Use protective covers or cases to shield your gear from dust, moisture, and pests. Additionally, consider using desiccants or moisture-absorbing products to keep humidity levels in check. Desiccant packs or moisture-absorbing crystals can help to absorb excess moisture in the air, reducing the risk of mould, mildew, and corrosion that can result from prolonged exposure to damp conditions. By proactively managing humidity levels within your storage area, you can mitigate the risk of moisture-related damage and preserve the quality of your gear for seasons to come.
4. Label and Inventory: Keep track of your stored items by labelling boxes and creating an inventory list. This will make it easier to locate specific items when you need them and ensure nothing gets lost or forgotten.
5.Regular Maintenance: Make it a habit to periodically check on your stored gear and perform any necessary maintenance, such as tuning skis or sharpening blades, to ensure they're ready for your next adventure.
6. 24-hour Access: When choosing a storage facility for your winter gear, consider opting for one with 24-hour access, like our new Fernie location. This feature ensures that you can retrieve or store your equipment at any time, regardless of your schedule or unexpected changes in plans. Whether you're an early riser gearing up for a sunrise ski session or returning late from a spontaneous adventure, having round-the-clock access provides the flexibility and convenience you need to make the most of your winter excursions.
With these tips in mind, you can confidently store your outdoor gear knowing that it will be ready and waiting for your next winter escapade.
Year-round storage for your winter adventure gear
Self-storage provides a convenient and practical solution for simplifying winter adventures by offering a secure space to store your seasonal gear and equipment when not in use. Whether you're an avid skier, snowboarder, or outdoor enthusiast, having a designated storage unit allows you to keep your winter gear organized, accessible, and in optimal condition throughout the year. Say goodbye to cluttered closets and overstuffed garages, and hello to a streamlined storage solution that frees up valuable space at home while ensuring your gear is always ready for your next snowy escapade.
And the fun doesn't have to stop when the snow melts. Storing your winter gear in self-storage over the summer is a smart move for keeping your home clutter-free and your seasonal equipment safe and well-maintained during the warmer months. From bulky ski gear and snowboards to heavy winter coats and boots, self-storage provides the ideal solution for keeping your winter essentials organized and out of the way until the cold weather returns. By storing your gear in a self-storage unit, you can protect it from the damaging effects of heat, humidity, and sunlight, ensuring that your equipment remains in pristine condition and ready for action when the snow starts to fall again. With the peace of mind that comes from knowing your winter gear is stored securely, you can fully embrace the summer season without worrying about the safety or condition of your belongings.
Start Your Winter Adventure with Make Space Storage
So, whether you're hitting the slopes in Fernie, exploring the backcountry trails of Manitoba, or embarking on winter adventures in Northern Ontario, Make Space Storage is here to support you every step of the way. Visit our new location in Fernie, BC, or one of our many convenient facilities nationwide, and discover why we're the trusted choice for storing your outdoor gear this winter. We make storage simple – contact us or you can book your unit online and move in right away!
From all of us at Make Space Storage, here's to a new year, new adventures, and memories that will last a lifetime. Happy storing and happy exploring!