How to Prepare Your Home For Overnight Guests During The Holidays
Whether you’ve been planning and getting ready all month or are just starting to think about it now – with the holidays just around the corner, now’s the time to start getting your home ready for your friends and family who are planning to stay overnight.
Preparing your home for when family or friends stay over during the holidays can be daunting, but with a little planning and preparation, you can make sure your guests feel comfortable and welcome. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Clean and declutter: Start by cleaning your home and decluttering any areas or rooms where your guests will stay or hang out in. From extra bedrooms, the living room, kitchen, basement, or home office. This will help ensure they feel both comfortable and welcome in your home. Additionally, if your guests are driving in, you’ll want to make sure you have some extra space on the driveway for them – this may include finding a place to store your seasonal vehicles while they’re in town.
- Prepare the guest room(s): One of the most important tasks is to ensure that they have their own clean space to retire for the night. For this, just make sure the guest room (or other room where they’ll be sleeping) is clean and tidy, and that the bed is made with clean sheets and linens. Additionally, you’ll want to provide some extra blankets and pillows in case your guests need them. If you have an extra fan or space heater as well, it’s always a good idea to place them in their rooms so that they can use them if needed.
- Stock up on food and essentials: With the rush to get your home ready, it’s quite easy to forget some of the essentials. During your next grocery trip, you’ll want to make sure you have plenty of the essentials stocked up, including toilet paper, towels, and other toiletries.
If your guests are coming from far away, they may forget some of their things too – so having extra toiletries on hand can be extremely helpful as they may have to stay overnight with no option of going home. Keeping your fridge and cupboards stocked with food is also handy as you’d hate to send your guests to bed hungry.
- Create a fun and inviting atmosphere: Create a warm and welcoming atmosphere for your friends and family by adding some festive decorations. After all, t’is the season. No matter what holiday you celebrate, you can find some fun and cheap decorations including holiday lights, candles, and other seasonal decor at your local dollar store to help create a cozy/inviting atmosphere in your home without breaking the bank.
- Plan activities: There’s no worse feeling than having a bored guest so you’ll want to plan some fun activities for your guests to enjoy during their stay. You can go ice skating, sledding, visit some local holiday attractions, or even just plan a movie/board game night at home will help ensure your guests are entertained and engaged during their visit. Additionally, it may also be helpful to ask them what they want to do and plan around that.
- Be flexible: Lastly, you’ll want to remember that everyone has different needs and preferences, so it’s important to be flexible and accommodating to your guests. Before their visit, ask them if they need anything and be sure to pick it up or make additional accommodations/adjustments to ensure their stay is comfortable and enjoyable.
How Self-Storage Can Help with The Decluttering for The Holidays
If you’re in the process of cleaning your home for your overnight guests this holiday season, you may want to consider self-storage to hide away anything you don’t have room for – or just don’t want your guests to see or touch (especially if children are coming to visit).
At Make Space Storage, we provide heated/non-heated self-storage lockers and both short/long-term parking space rentals at over 30 locations across Canada. If you require some extra storage space, just click here to find a self-storage facility near you and start packing to get your home ready for the holidays! 🎄🎁